A few of our applications can be controlled simply using a "Stream Deck" from Elgato. Here are a explanations on how it works.
Softron integration or Elgato software?
First you will need to choose how you are going to use the Stream Deck. You can indeed use the software that Elgato is providing, or use the integration that we have built in our software.
It will be one or the other.
- use our integration in our software
- Pro: Nothing to do, just plug the Stream Deck and start the software
- Pro: Dedicate one Stream Deck to one application, or change from one to the other, pages will change automatically
- Con: Only one application at a time can be controlled (the front one)
- Con: Can not control other applications
- use the Stream Deck software provided by Elgato
- Pro: Control multiple software from one "page"
- Pro: Add your text and image on top of the button
- Pro: You can control other software than ours
- Pro: Currently easier to do a customisation
- Con: There's some work to do
- Con: Controls will be limited
And what about Elgato's SDK?
In January 2019, Elgato has released a new way to interact with the Stream Deck, through its own SDK. We currently don't support that (we started working on this a while ago when there was no SDK available), but it may be added in future versions of our software. Contact us if you are interested.
At the time of writing, the applications that support the Stream Deck are:
- OnTheAir Video
- OnTheAir Video Express
- Multicam Logger
Elgato's Stream Deck software can not be running
In order to be able to use the Softron integration, you need to make sure that the "Stream Deck" software is not running. If it is running, it will prevent us to access the Stream Deck. So make sure that it is not set to automatically launch at startup.
Note that the application will not show in the Dock, look up for this icon in the menu bar:
If you see this icon, click on it, and then select "Quit Stream Deck".
But at next computer restart, the Stream Deck application will be started again. If you don't want to have any conflict, make sure to delete the application from there: /Applications/Stream Deck.app
Using the built-in controls
It should be as easy as plug the Stream Deck in your computer, start your Softron application. Depending on the application that you use, you will have different layouts.
If you go to the menu "Window > Show Stream Deck window", you should see a window such as this one (for OnTheAir Video):
Note that this window is available even if you don't have a Stream Deck connected, and if you click on any of these buttons in the window, it will actually do the action.
About the "Hold on to device when in background option"
This option is important for 2 things:
- if you want to be able to trigger your Softron application, even when using a different application
- if you are using multiple Stream Decks and you want each to use a different application
At the top of the window, you may see a popup menu saying "Default", for default page. If you click on it, you should see a different page, with different buttons. BE AWARE: the page will also change on the Stream Deck itself. Everything you do there is "mirrored" on the Stream Deck.
Note that if you did not include a "change page" button in your set, the only way that you'll be able to change page is from this window.
See below how to create new pages.
Customising the Stream Deck in the UI
At the bottom of the window, the "Edit" button allows you to modify the layout of the Stream Deck:
A drawer with the list of actions will open on the right:
Now when you click on the buttons, the action will not be performed, and you will be able to drag and drop actions from one button to another, or from the list to a button.
Click on "Done" when you are done.
Warning: the list on the right shows the list of buttons that are used in any of the pages. If you don't use the actions anymore, they won't be used in the pages and won't be listed anymore. This is something that we will improve in the future, in the meantime, click on "Restore to defaults" if you need to revert back.
Customising the Stream Deck using the plist
If you want to really customise the Stream Deck, currently, it requires some knowledge. This is something that we will also improve in the future. But here is how you should do for now:
Go to the following folder:
In that folder, locate the folder that pertains to the application that you are using. For example, for OnTheAir Video, there should be a folder called "com.softronmedia.OnTheAirVideo". Inside that folder, you should see something like this:
The 2 "plist" files are the 2 pages of your StreamDeck. And the "Images" folder are where all the images are stored.
The best is that you start from one of the existing pages, so you can know the syntax. And if you have requests, don't hesitate to contact Softron support so we can better help you.
Restore to defaults
The "Restore to defaults" button can be used if you want to restore to the default configuration. Note that this can be useful also if you want to use new features or buttons that were done in a new version of the application. It will also copy the new images to the folder.
Using multiple Stream Decks on one computer
If you want to use multiple Stream Decks on one computer, and have each Stream Deck control a specific application, you should:
- make sure that you are using an application that was released on or after January 2019. Previous versions only supported one Stream Deck.
- then start the first Softron application that you want to be controlled by a Stream Deck. It will
Stream Deck application
We won't go into too much details, as you can find a lot of info on Elgato's website or on the web about this, but the idea is that you should first download and install the Elgato Stream Deck software.
Again if you use the Softron integration, you should NOT start the Stream Deck software as it will prevent us to access the Stream Deck. It can be present on the computer, but not running.
Once installed, you will be able to configure the buttons. For an integration with the Softron software, you will have to send REST requests. Let's say you want to start recording your first source in MovieRecorder:
- search for the "Website" action in the right pane:
- then drag and drop it on a button of your Stream Deck, and enter:
- a title: what will be shown on the button
- a URL: a REST request that will be done to your Softron application. In the case below, it's a request to start recording on the first source (in the list)
- an image: you can choose an image that will illustrate that action
- enable the option "Access in background" so that it starts even if the Stream Deck application is not front
That's it! Then you can create a different button to control MovieRecorder, one to control OnTheAir CG, etc... or also other applications that are not from us.