- you are running tests and don't have the hardware yet,
- you use OnTheAir Video or OnTheAir Node together withy MovieStreamer HLS to stream to the web, so you don't need a physical video output
- you use the direct link between OnTheAir Video and a Live input of OnTheAir CG Server.
As you can see you won't need any video device for streaming. But if you want to have a real video output out of OnTheAir CG Server, simply add a video device as output there, and that's it.
- run OnTheAir Video (or OnTheAir Node) and MovieRecorder on the same Mac. You can see OnTheAir Video as a source in MovieRecorder in order to record what is going out, or even simpler have a preview. We have a short video showing that.
- run OnTheAir Video (or OnTheAir Node) and MovieStreamer HLS on the same Mac. You will be able to stream directly to the web.
- run OnTheAir Video and OnTheAir CG Server on the same Mac. In OnTheAir CG Server preferences, you can then add OnTheAir Video as a "Live Source", and then simply overly graphics on top of that signal, without the need of a video card with keying.
All our playout applications support the "Virtual Output", but not all support the "Direct Link"
|Software||Virtual Output||Direct Link|
|OnTheAir Video Express||Yes||No|
This means that for example OnTheAir Video Express can not be used for web streaming application only. You would have to use a "real" video output to playout, and then a "real" video input to retrieve the signal in OnTheAir CG Server or MovieStreamer HLS. But all can happen on the same computer still.
Example of use
For web streaming only, with no "real" video output
If you are streaming to the web and need animated graphics, you could use the following workflow.
As you can see there is no real device:
- in OnTheAir Video, select the "Virtual Output" in the playback settings
- in OnTheAir CG Server, create a "Live" item to use the signal from OnTheAir Video through the direct link
- in OnTheAir CG Server, select the "Virtual Output" in the playback settings
- and finally choose "OnTheAir CG Server" as the source in MovieStreamer HLS. The signal will be sent through the direct link
As you can see it is a combination of virtual output and direct link that allows you to do that.
With "real" video outputs