What is the "Direct Link" ?
- record or stream the signal that is played by OnTheAir Video, OnTheAir Node or OnTheAir CG Server without the need of a video input device. This can be very useful for Web TVs that need to stream their signal.
- It can also be used just to "preview" the signal that is getting out of OnTheAir Video or OnTheAir Node.
How does it work ?
For the Direct Link to work, you need to be running OnTheAir Video 3 or OnTheAir Node 3 on the same computer as MovieRecorder 3.
- Start OnTheAir Video (or OnTheAir Node)
- Start MovieRecorder or MovieStreamer HLS
- Start playing in OnTheAir Video or OnTheAir Node. Then:
- You should see them show up in the list of Sources in MovieRecorder 3:
- Enable the checkbox in front of the source that you want to use
- That's it ! You can use that as any other source in MovieRecorder to either record or stream.
In MovieStreamer HLS
- Click on the "Source" popup menu on the right hand side drawer and select "OnTheAir Video" or "OnTheAir Node" as a source.
- That's it you can use it as a regular video source, select your encoding settings...
A few things to know
- The direct link does not work between different computers, it only works between applications running on the same computer.
- The OnTheAir Video or OnTheAir Node engine must be initialised (i.e. you need to have started playing) to be able to use the direct link and see it as a source in MovieRecorder.
- You can start OnTheAir Video or OnTheAir Node AFTER MovieRecorder, and you should see them showing up in the Sources list of MovieRecorder 3 when you start playing.
- The direct link feature does NOT work with OnTheAir Video Express.
- The direct link feature does work with MovieRecorder or MovieStreamer HLS in DEMO mode, so you can use a DEMO version to preview the output of OnTheAir Video 3 or OnTheAir Node 3.
Again, the "Direct Link" should not be confused with the "Virtual output", which is a kind of virtual playback device when you don't want to use a "real" video output. You can read more about the differences between the the "Virtual Output" and the "Direct link".